Saturday, October 30, 2010

Week 8: Text Design

This week I was determined to create an original text. I wanted my text to evoke a feeling in the viewer. It was also important to me that it had a delicate, calm and one-of-a-kind feeling. To create this text, I started by sketching in my sketch book and then scanned the ones that I liked the best. Some of my sketches can be seen below:


After sketching, I worked on creating vector images from the text by using the pen tool to outline the text. The final text can be seen here: 
I am really happy with the way that the text turned out and I am now working on incorporating this text into brochure designs. I am interested in playing around with the format of the text and exploring the different ways I can use it in the brochure design. 

This week, before working on my own text, I played around with another brochure design that played off of the vintage label look. I like the simplicity of it and I am hoping to use the text I have made and work it into a design similar to this one. I also would like to start incorporating some vintage patterns into my designs. I think they would work really well with the text I have made.  



My plan and goals for next week are to continue to work on my brochures by incorporating my new text and exploring color. I would also like to ask the class what they think of the text so far and the name "Escape", which is what I thinking for the name of my train right now. 

IP work done this week: Worked on brochure design (45 min), sketched/worked on text in illustrator (5 hours), read book on Art Deco design (45 min) 

1 comment:

  1. Color is going to be an important part of your artistic exploration to give a sense of nostalgia and elegance. I like this brochure design that you came up with. You're starting to incorporate a bit of patterning on the edge of the text framing. You seem to be using the style of an old picture frame here, which could be a really beautiful path to take. I'm so happy to see you playing with creating your own text. It looks really nice, but the word "escape" becomes a little difficult to read at a glance. I can't tell if its because the lines of the letters vary so little in weight (though it does look beautiful) or if the letters are maybe a bit too close together. The word "Escape" makes me think of being able to take a deep breath and stretch my arms, which I don't quite get from this yet. The Escape has a much different feel to it than The Northern Ride. Are you thinking of one or the other, or is the Northern Ride one route you can take on The Escape? You're doing great Alana.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete