Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 9: Logo

This week I made my first attempt at logos. At this point they are just basic sketches. In my logo designs, I incorporated the hand written "the escape" with other fonts that I felt demonstrated a retro feel. I also played around with using different shapes as borders to the text to mimic a vintage photo frame. My first attempt logos can be seen below: 

I think that I learned a lot from these first designs. First, I realized that while the hand written text I made may be beautiful, it may also be too delicate for a logo and hard to read. In addition, this text looks a little too feminine. As discussed in a mini critique on Thursday, I should remember that the train is a heavy machine too. From this discussion, I have some logo ideas which could remain delicate while having more power than the current designs. I know that my logo needs to stand alone. I am now still wanting to draw my own font but keep it more simple and less delicate. Further, I would still like to work with the framing around the text making it look like a stamp. Lots of trail and error and work a head of me! More logos to come... 

IP work done this week: Read design books (1/2 hr), worked on logo designs (4.5 hrs), Meet with design group and Seth (1/2 hr), discussed work with peers (1 hr) 

2 comments:

  1. Alana, I agree with you about the handwritten logo. Too feminine and not quite powerful enough. I like what you're trying out with the others and find them much more preferable. The second one down in your left hand column is attractive because I think the style of the word "ESCAPE" is reminiscent of early 20th century lettering that was found in decorative type. (I don't know the exact era or name of the style) So it evokes a mood of nostalgia.The ones with the slanted text of course suggest motion, energy and forward movement which are also appropriate for the content. It seems like a choice between the languor of relaxing on the train or the speed and energy of the moving vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the first logo in the blue circles. I think having the initials as the main logo with maybe a subtext would look amazing. I also really like that you aren't necessarily sticking to the "outdoorsy" colors- it's blue, but not sky blue. It is a more elegant color. It's really strong and I love your logo style.

    ReplyDelete