Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Updates!

I have not updated my blog in a while so I would like to show the work that I ended the semester with and where I am now. At the mid semester critique, I ended by showing my critique group this poster:


They criticized this poster because they said that it looked as if it could be going anywhere and my project talks specifically about going to Northern Michigan. In addition, while I was using design elements to get the vintage feel that I wanted, they felt that it was starting to look a little "cut and paste". They expressed that I should take a few weeks to look at images and maps of northern Michigan to enlarge my current material. 
Following this critique, I took the next few weeks collecting images that I have taken from up north. After I collected them, I started to merge them together into panoramas to explore the feeling of up north. A example of the panoramas that I put together can be seen here: 


While I really enjoy the images and the paint-like quality of this panorama, I felt like it did not match the overall aesthetic that I am going for. The photographs, although tinted, still look too modern for the vintage feeling that I have been using in my typography. I tried to work in the photography with the text in a poster seen here:

My conclusions following this piece was that I needed to have a more hand drawn image to go along with the typography that I have and would like to be using. I developed this image:
I liked the idea here, however, instead of looking beautifully hand-drawn i feel as if it looks childish. My next attempt at an image can be seen below. I drew the image that I wanted and am in the process of working in color in photoshop, keeping the sketch quality that I want in the image. 
I am really happy with how this image is coming out and I feel like it will work well with the style that I want. In addition to working on this image this week, I have also been tweaking my logo. I realized that I wanted it to be more simple and use less of the cluttered ornaments. My current logo can be seen below:



Finally, this week I have begun my train ticket which I am happy with so far. 




I also experimented with letterpress this week, it was so cool! Lots going on and I finally feel like I am moving in a good direction!   





4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I think if you want a sketchy quality for your drawing, a paper texture overlay would help. That might just be me, though- I'm wild about paper textures.

    If you need more help, find me tuesday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Looking great and you made a lot of progress. I think the direction you are heading in now is a good blend of the hand-sketching and the ornaments. Gives a nice olden-days feel but keeps a modern simplistic vibe. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Just wanted to say that I dig your train ticket. And that I think you consistently do nice things with typography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Elly- I like your ticket. It's really simple, but the typography translates the feeling you're going for.

    In terms of the drawings and imagery- I like that you're translating drawings into photoshop.. I think that you can push these drawings even further. Right now the drawing looks a little cartoonish... is that what you're going for? I would love to talk to you more about this- I'm not saying it's bad- it's just much different than the imagery you've shown before. On another note, have you looked in the archives of the Bently Historical Library for imagery to work from? Check it out if you haven't already- there is so much there- and so much is online. Let's catch up tomorrow- I would love to look at more imagery and talk to you about this.

    See you soon- Amanda

    ReplyDelete